Coffee produced in Sumatra offers full body and low acidity that makes it immediately recognizable. Read on to learn more about this flagship coffee from Indonesia.
A Good Cup of Java
Sumatra is the largest island within Indonesia, a country that has a long-standing association with coffee.
You may have heard the expression “a cup of java” (or its derivate, “a cup of joe”), to mean “a cup of coffee.” Well, Java is another island in Indonesia and at some point its coffee enjoyed such prestige that “Java” became synonymous with coffee, although in many cases the coffee was actually produced in Sumatra.
The Giling Basah Coffee Processing Method
The defining characteristic of coffee from Sumatra is its low acidity, an attribute that is a result of a unique local processing method known as giling basah.
The giling basah method consists in removing most of the cherry from the coffee and then drying it with the mucilage (the pulp attached to the bean) still intact. Then the parchment is removed from the beans before they are completely dry.
What is unusual about the giling basah method is that the parchment is almost never removed this early in the process, resulting in coffee with a robust body and low acidity.
There are four coffee-growing regions in Sumatra: Lampung, at the southern tip of the island; Bengkulu and Mandkuraja in the southwest region; Lintong in the western-north area; and Aceh up north.
However, Mandheling, probably the most famous coffee from the island, is not named after a region, but after the Mandailing, people that have traditionally farmed and processed coffee in northern Sumatra.
Mandhheling coffee is often described as having hints of cocoa and spice, with a full body and naturally low acidity.
Most of the coffee produced in Sumatra (75%) is of the Robusta variety, while the remaining 25% is Arabica. As of 2018, Indonesia was the fourth largest coffee-producing country in the world.
EcoDelight, High-Quality Single Origin Coffee from Sumatra in San Jose, California
EcoDelight is the ideal choice when it comes to single origin coffee in the Bay Area. We offer a full range of single origin coffees from all around the world to satisfy the most discerning tastes:
- Brazil: From Minas Gerais. Good body, low acidity, long and sweet aftertaste.
- Costa Rica: From Tarrazú. With full body, tingles with acidity.
- Mexico: From Chiapas. Delicate body, pleasantly dry.
- El Salvador: From Apaneca. Creamy body with hints of caramel and tropical fruits.
- Guatemala: From Huehuetenango. Full in body, with a characteristic smoky flavor.
- Sumatra: From Mandheling. Good body, with long and sweet aftertaste.
- Nicaragua: From Jinotega-Matagalpa. Medium-to-light body with a delicate taste.
- Colombia: From Medellin. Heady aroma, full body, and mellow, clean flavor.
- Ethiopia: From Sidamo. Good body, long and sweet aftertaste with aromas of caramel, walnuts, and honey.
Contact us today by telephone (707-344-3316), email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or through our social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter) to place a custom order, become a distributor, or learn more about our passion for all things coffee.