For a long time, coffee from Nicaragua remained unknown to American consumers, in large part due to political reasons. In recent years, however, the world has discovered how refined, surprising, and rewarding Nicaraguan coffee can be.
The high quality of Nicaraguan coffee comes as no surprise since the country has all the necessary elements to grow outstanding beans: fertile soil located at the right heights, enough rain throughout the year, and a thriving coffee industry.
Coffee Is Key to Nicaragua’s Economy
Coffee plays an important role in the economy of Nicaragua: in fact, coffee is the country’s second agricultural export after bovine meat. Coffee growing sustains 15% of Nicaragua’s population and 54% of those in the agricultural sector.
Nicaragua is the world’s 13th largest coffee producer. The lion’s share (74%) of Nicaraguan coffee is exported to the United States (52%) and the European Union (22%). Other importers of Nicaraguan coffee include Venezuela (10%), Norway, Taiwan, Japan and Australia (2% each).
The use of outdated technology can make it difficult to trace Nicaraguan coffee. However, things are changing as the market for specialty coffee becomes increasingly important.
Coffee-Growing Areas in Nicaragua
- Nueva Segovia: Some of the finest Nicaraguan coffees are produced here. They offer interesting flavor profiles with notes of spices and dried fruits.
- Jinotega: This is the area that produces the most coffee in Nicaragua. Coffee from Jinotega usually displays pleasant cocoa and berry notes.
- Madriz: Formerly part of Nueva Segovia, this area produces coffee with great potential.
- Matagalpa: This is another area that produces interesting coffee. The main characteristics of coffee from Matagalpa are its acidity, creamy texture, and delicate flavor profile.
- Estelí: It may not be as famous as other areas of Nicaragua but produces great coffee with floral notes and a pleasant texture.
EcoDelight, High-Quality Single Origin Coffee from Nicaragua in San Jose, California
EcoDelight is the ideal choice when it comes to single origin coffee in the Bay Area. We offer a full range of single origin coffees from all around the world to satisfy the most discerning tastes:
- Brazil: From Minas Gerais. Good body, low acidity, long and sweet aftertaste.
- Costa Rica: From Tarrazú. With full body, tingles with acidity.
- Mexico: From Chiapas. Delicate body, pleasantly dry.
- El Salvador: From Apaneca. Creamy body with hints of caramel and tropical fruits.
- Guatemala: From Huehuetenango. Full in body, with a characteristic smoky flavor.
- Sumatra: From Mandheling. Good body, with long and sweet aftertaste.
- Nicaragua: From Jinotega-Matagalpa. Medium-to-light body with a delicate taste.
- Colombia: From Medellin. Heady aroma, full body, and mellow, clean flavor.
- Ethiopia: From Sidamo. Good body, long and sweet aftertaste with aromas of caramel, walnuts, and honey.
Contact us today by telephone (707-344-3316), email (email@example.com), or through our social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter) to place a custom order, become a distributor, or learn more about our passion for all things coffee.